Why isn't gcc-2.91.66 (egcs-1.1.2) packaged (for kernel 2.4 builds)

On Mar 13, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn (cristian.ionescu-idbohrn@axis.com) wrote:
 > Package: wnpp
 > Severity: important
 >
 > Cheers Ray,
 >
 > Surely there's another, easier, way instead of chasing and digging in
 > slink dists after old egcs package versions, and elsewhere after
 > patches, and still being unsure if one can pull everything through.
 >
 > We have the 'alternatives'. Cannot that be used to add one more
 > compiler to the family? Would anyone with better understanding of this
 > care to comment?

I, too, would like to see egcs 1.1.2 (2.91.66) in potato.  I recently
had to compile a program that would compile with that, but not with
2.95.2, and when I tried to install the slink package it told me it
conflicted with the installed gcc (obviously).  I ended up building
egcs the old-fashiond way in /usr/local/ and resetting the path
temporarily when compiling the other program.  Is there an easy way to
install Debian packages to a different destination than their default?
 And tell it to go ahead and install there even if the package
conflicts with another?

You can read about building and installing A+ on a Debian system at
http://www.aplusdev.org.

--
Neil L. Roeth
neil@occamsrazor.net