Re: Testing upgrade and consequences

Redirecting further discussion of this user-based problem to
debian-user...

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 02:29:02PM -0600, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> FWIW I installed minimal potato on my box here, upgraded to woody,
> _then_ installed apache and it worked fine. I run apt-get every
> morning and Apache was still running just fine... until my box made
> a funny noise a couple of days ago. I shut it down -- to check the
> fans and all that. Apache failed to start up after that (did you try
> to restart your apache lately? maybe you shouldn't.)

So...  It was working fine, your installation of the "broken" woody
Apache, until your box made a "funny noise"...  This doesn't hint to a
larger problem at all, does it?  Perhaps you should run fsck.ext2 on
your system's ext2 filesystems and make sure everything is clean and
tidy.

> So, I don't know exactly when/what broke apache. I suspect perl, but
> I don't know. I don't have the exact error message either --
> something about Apache.pm -- I thought that something has changed
> and I should re-run apache config.  I did. Bad move.

Has it occured to you to back up your custom config files in your home
directory, purge the Apache installation, and reinstall?  I would not
normally suggest this, as it ignores possible bugs, BUT what you
described above makes it sound like you've got some serious hardware
issues to deal with -- one of them being possible file corruption.

Also, has it occurred to you to actually edit your configuration files
by hand?  apacheconfig is not a necessity.  apachectl(1) will do
configuration file tests for you.

       apachectl - Apache HTTP server control interface

       configtest  Run  a  configuration  file  syntax  test.  It
                   parses  the  configuration  files  and  either
                   reports  Syntax  Ok  or  detailed  information
                   about the particular syntax error.

    e.g.
        bash$ apachectl configtest
        Syntax OK

Of course, you don't actually have to use apachectl either, try
running apache(1) with the test option:

       -t          Run syntax tests for configuration files only.
                   The program immediately exits after these syn-
                   tax  parsing  with  either  a return code of 0
                   (Syntax OK) or return  code  not  equal  to  0
                   (Syntax Error).

       -T          Same  as option -t but does not check the con-
                   figured document roots.

Have you tried other environments to reproduce the bug, or it simply
your current installation that you're having problems with?

> Since you asked, here it is:
> odyssey:~# apacheconfig 2>&1
>
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/sbin/apacheconfig line 219.
>
> The icons Alias specifed in srm.conf is non-standard.  Fix? [Y/n]
> Correcting Alias to /usr/share/apache/icons/ in srm.conf.
>
> The cgi-bin ScriptAlias specifed in srm.conf is non-standard.  Fix? [Y/n]
> Correcting ScriptAlias to /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ in srm.con
> Your config files will not be modified until you select Y at "save changes."
>
> Enter the email address of your server administrator.  This address
> will be used in error messages allowing users to submit reports of
> faulty links or misconfigured cgi-programs to you. It should be an email
> address that corresponds to a human.
>
> Who should the ServerAdmin be? [dmaziuk@bmrb.wisc.edu]
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at /usr/sbin/apacheconfig
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at /usr/sbin/apacheconfig line 345, <STDIN> line 2.

These certainly do look suspect.  Perhaps you hould find the md5sums
file in /var/lib/dpkg/info/apache.md5sums and check the integrity of
the installed files.

Perhaps running through something like:

    bash$ cd /; md5sum -v -c /var/lib/dpkg/info/apache.md5sums

or if you don't care to be in /..

    bash$ at /var/lib/dpkg/info/apache.md5sums | \

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD