Re: portability as a goal for debian?

* Christopher C. Chimelis (chris@debian.org) [010306 23:34]:
> In all fairness, BSD makes good use of their tools and they work very well
> for them.  If a Debian BSD port is to really happen, that's just something
> to work around for that port (insert creative solution here).

there is gmake, gtar and all in the ports section of the bsd,
ready to use. it will be not very time consuming in the
beginning. probaty more so in the long run.

what is missing is a clean way to specify *what* we really want
to use in the buildprocess. most package use configure anyway,
but fail to check for make (pmake, or gmake, or whatever). In
most debian/rules files it says #!/usr/bin/make -f
in the first line.

form debian rules configure is called. If now configure *would*
find out that there is a pmake in /usr/bin/make and a gmake (what
this package needs) in /usr/bin/gmake, I see no way to fix that.

configure would need to recreate the rules file with a line
#!/usr/bin/gmake -f form a rules.in and restart the build
process.

Is that possible?

But this is just a symtom of our focus on gnu tools, without
beeing explicit about it. (And I do not thing that we become
explicitly gnu-focused. the opposit is true, we should try and
use the common funktionality subset)

We declare dependencys on tar and make, not on gmake, gtar etc.
We should either only use common tar features (good thing), or
ask for gnu tar features, say so, check for its existance and
location/path and then use it.

Again this is mostly for the essential and the debian tools, not
ALL software in debian. for now.