Re: portability as a goal for debian?

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 10:40:23AM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> But this is just a symtom of our focus on gnu tools, without
> beeing explicit about it. (And I do not thing that we become
> explicitly gnu-focused. the opposit is true, we should try and
> use the common funktionality subset)

If you had a Debian system where tar, make etc were not the GNU
versions, would it really be Debian? It certainly wouldn't be
Debian GNU.

Portability is good, but I don't see any benefit in attempting
to be portable to non-GNU systems. Debian is a GNU system;
if you take the GNU out, it's not Debian.

IMHO the whole concept of Debian/*BSD is flawed, because it's
based on the assumption than the *BSD kernel is better than
the Linux kernel, and I don't see any proof of that.

Hamish