Re: libdb3?

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 01:57:48PM -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> On Nov 11, Ben Collins announced that libdb3 was now in incoming.  You
> can read that message here:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0011/msg00807.html
>
> However, it doesn't seem to be available.
>
> [sam@samth ~/projects]$ apt-cache search libdb3
> [sam@samth ~/projects]$
>
> Searching on packages.d.o doesn't find anything either.  Since that
> post, there has been exactly one post to -devel mentioning db3, but it
> doesn't tell my why it isn't available.
>
> Is there are reason it dissapeared?

Yep, because it stands to break every application compiled against
libdb2. You cannot have a cohesive system where db2 and db3 exist at the
same time. Segfaults occur. I attempted to work around this with
versioned symbols and was quite succesfuly, but it was pointless unless
it was accepted upstream.

Whoever wants to take this on (upstream did agree to accept patches),
can feel free to do so. IMO, the only thing that *requires* db3 right
now is rpm4, and well, I don't even need to say anything there.