Re: libdb3?

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 03:45:29PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 01:57:48PM -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> > On Nov 11, Ben Collins announced that libdb3 was now in incoming.  You
> > can read that message here:
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0011/msg00807.html
> >
> > However, it doesn't seem to be available.
> >
> > [sam@samth ~/projects]$ apt-cache search libdb3
> > [sam@samth ~/projects]$
> >
> > Searching on packages.d.o doesn't find anything either.  Since that
> > post, there has been exactly one post to -devel mentioning db3, but it
> > doesn't tell my why it isn't available.
> >
> > Is there are reason it dissapeared?
>
> Yep, because it stands to break every application compiled against
> libdb2. You cannot have a cohesive system where db2 and db3 exist at the
> same time. Segfaults occur. I attempted to work around this with
> versioned symbols and was quite succesfuly, but it was pointless unless
> it was accepted upstream.
>
> Whoever wants to take this on (upstream did agree to accept patches),
> can feel free to do so. IMO, the only thing that *requires* db3 right
> now is rpm4, and well, I don't even need to say anything there.

What precise breakage was occuring?  I ask because I currently have
3.2.9 installed in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.2, and have had no problems
yet.  Of course, this installation only includes libdb.a, as opposed
to the shared libraries.

Is there any way you could be persuaded to provide only libdb3-dev
packages?  There's at least one application (Subversion) which I have
to have db3 for, and we all know that non-packaged software is Evil.

If you aren't willing, I'd be happy to try to work on the problem,
first to get just libdb3-dev working, and then to get the full shared
library package available.

Did Sleepycat decide to stop doing symbol versioning for db3?  Or was
there a similar situtation for the transition to db2?

Thanks

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/