The Sanctity of /usr/local [was Re: Recent Woody upgrade, TeTeX, XFree86, and Mozilla]

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 09:35:59PM +0100, Miros/law `Jubal' Baran wrote:
> 5.03.2001 pisze Dale Scheetz (dwarf@polaris.net):

> > Sysadmins rely on the sanctity of /usr/local to maintain any package or
> > software program they wish, in any fashion they see fit, without the
> > package management system comming in at unexpected times and mucking up
> > the contents.
>
> And because of that there's a configuration file in /etc/texmf, which
> should be edited in appropriate way. Look at /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf
> (under 'Part 1'), it's all configurable.

I think the complaint is that tex should not be mucking about in
/usr/local UNLESS THE ADMIN SPECIFICALLY REQUESTED IT TO.

In other words, the default in /etc/texmf should be flipped, as
suggested by Alan Shutko.

-S