Re: ftp.nl.debian.org

On Tue 27 Feb 2001, Martin Quinson wrote:

> ftp.renater.fr.debian.org -> marseille (renater is the name of the net on
>                              which the machine in Marseille is)
> ftp.proxad.fr.debian.org -> ftp.fr.debian.org (on net proxad)
>
> (It may be more server and alias for france, but these are the only ones I'm
> aware of)
>
> Why don't you use the same scheme in nl ?

The physical location of a server doesn't say much about how close it
is network-wise. ftp.nl.debian.org is in Amsterdam, but to reach it
from a town 30km away it goes via Frankfurt (as mentioned earlier).

Perhaps there should be aliases with the name of major ISPs, e.g.
ftp.cistron.nl.debian.org is the ftp site best suited for cistron clients,
ftp.uunet.nl.debian.org is for uunet clients, and
ftp.casema.nl.debian.org isn't reachable :) (casema is a cable ISP with
lots of problems).

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.net      http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/