Re: NM frustrations...

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:00:33PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 03:00:17PM -0500, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:11:41AM +0100, Nils Lohner wrote:
> > >
> > > Please remember we're all volunteers and (re)act appropriately.
> > >

> > Sure, the DAM is a volunteer.  He volunteered to take on the
> > responsibility of managing Debian developer accounts.  He is not being
> > very effective at handling this responsibility.  Take a look at some of
> > the statistics at http://nm.debian.org.  On average people must wait
> > over 30 days for their accounts to be created.
>
> Sorry, but as far as I can see it, the last discussion about this topic
> concluded that it is _not_ only the job of the DAM to "create accounts".
> He must judge wether the upcoming DD is well suited for this. The AM
> reports help him greatly in this descision, but at the end it's he who
> has to judge.

Yes, but there is a very specific terminology in the constitution:

  8.3. Procedure

   Delegates may make decisions as they see fit, but should attempt to
   implement good technical decisions and/or follow consensus opinion.

This suggests that the AM report, which by all practical means defines the
consensus opinions, should be followed by the DAM, as long as there is no
good technical reason not to do so. In real life, such a scheme is often
used to seperate the execution of a decision from the decision making
itself, so power can not be abused.

The actual freedom of the DAM is severly restricted by 8.3 (and of course by
the possibility of the Debian community to override any decision made by the
project leader or the delegate), despite the (at first glance) rather weak
wording.

[...]
> the NM-process could be speeded up somehow, because evil Maintainers are
> not _that_ dangerous to the project as evil Developers. Of course, all
> the new Maintainers would cry out loud for not having access to all the
> stuff the "senior Developers" have, so I guess it wouldn't work.

I think most people don't consider having an account on Debian machine as
such a big problem. People who argue against many more new maintainers are
often saying that any maintainer has "root access on thousands of systems",
so your argument is failing short when one has such a perspective.

However, many people don't really need an account on Debian machines, and if
there is the possibility to get one if it is needed, I think it would be
okay to not give accounts by default.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de