Re: Autobuilding with cross-compiler to solve m68k woes?

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 12:05:08PM -0600, Taral wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 11:54:16AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > What if we had the means of reliably determining which packages could be
> > cross-compiled, and which needed to be compiled on a native system?
> > Would that make cross-compiling a viable option?
>
> Well, you could try cross-compiling, and if that fails, build it
> native...

Unfortunately, there can be very subtle issues (for example, one version of
bash got the list of signals wrong, because it was using the build systems
header files, not the host systems. You wouldn't notice this problem until
after some later time).

However, packages can try to support cross building via dpkg-architecture,
which provides all the necessary information to debian/rules. It would be
nice if all Essential and Required packages could be cross build.

As cross building is only done a few times per architecture usually, it is
often less well tested and as such more work. There is no theoretical
problem with cross building, just practical issues.

I cross build glibc for the Hurd, and occasionally some other programs. Many
Debian packages won't cross build, though.

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de