Re: Autobuilding with cross-compiler to solve m68k woes?

James,

Quoting James Troup <james@nocrew.org>:

> > [ Another inevitable cross-compilation suggestions ]

> No, no, no.  Cross compiling is NOT the answer.  I would rather see
> m68k dropped than having it cross-compiled.  Cross-compiling is evil,
> does not work all the time and is quite simply not the answer...

> Buildd has many faults, but one of it's strengths is that it is
> perfectly scalable out of the box.  If an architecture is really too
> slow, you add more boxes.  The fact that there is currently only one
> buildd per architecture is pure happenstance and _not_ a limitation of
> buildd (I know because I use to run m68k/buildd#2).  It doesn't matter
> if we have something as slow as a z80 as long as we have enough
> net-connected slow-as-heck boxes, they could keep up.

What if we had the means of reliably determining which packages could be
cross-compiled, and which needed to be compiled on a native system?  Would that
make cross-compiling a viable option?

I guess I don't see why you believe that 'cross-compiling is evil'.  Every port
to a new architecture has to start out with cross-compiling, and I don't think
anyone believes porting is evil.  Why is it evil to use cross-compiling when the
software running on the architecture is too large to be compiled on that
architecture?

After all, there's a limit on the parallelizability of buildd in that you can't
readily split the building of any single package across multiple machines.  What
if you had something as slow as a Z80 that was terrible at compiling, but which
made a great architecture for a webserver?  (Ever tried to compile anything on a
Cobalt? :)  What if compiling Apache natively on that architecture takes >>
24hrs?  To me, that seems like a sound argument for using cross-compiling to
support such a platform.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer