Re: manpage for applet functions

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 03:26:54PM +0100, Christian Marillat wrote:
> Here is a example manpage :
>
> Christian
>
> quicklaunch_applet(1)                                   quicklaunch_applet(1)
>
> NAME
>         quicklaunch_applet
>
> DESCRIPTION
>         QuickLaunch is an applet which holds application launchers. It
>         shrinks the launcher icons to their smallest size to save room on
>         your panel.
>
> OPTIONS
>         This program should be started using the GNOME menu
>
> AUTHOR
>         QuickLaunch applet was written by Fabio Gomes de Souza
>         <fabiofb@altavista.net>

I would suggest, personally:

quicklaunch_applet(1)                                   quicklaunch_applet(1)

NAME
        quicklaunch_applet - compact application launcher applet for
	the GNOME panel

SYNOPSIS
	Gnome applets should be launched from the GNOME menu, or the
	panel context menu, not the commandline.

DESCRIPTION
        QuickLaunch is an applet which holds application launchers. It
        shrinks the launcher icons to their smallest size to save room on
        your panel.

AUTHOR
        QuickLaunch applet was written by Fabio Gomes de Souza
        <fabiofb@altavista.net>

What was my point?  A synopsis section traditionally indicates how the
program should be run; I've seen at least one other command (can't
remember what) which had a synopsis roughly like this.  An options
section, if N/A, can be omitted, IMO. Also, it is worth putting a
short description in the NAME section -- this allows 'apropos' to be
useful.

Jules