Re: quitting from install scripts

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 03:01:26PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Fri 23 Feb 2001, Drew Parsons wrote:
>
> > > Having a choice of Yes/No is clear, but it seemed to me it might be
> > > appropriate to provide a third alternative, "Quit", which aborts the upgrade
> > > of mirrormagic.
>
> Why would a user not want to upgrade? He should have put the package on
> hold if he doesn't want it upgraded.

I see what you mean.  If the old high scores are really that important to
him, then it will be sufficient simply to simply allow them not to be
deleted.  He can then downgrade and hold if he really wants the old version.

> > > What is the usual approach to handling the aborting of a package
> > > installation?  Is it appropriate to "exit 1" in preinst if the user chooses
> > > "Quit", halting the installation of the package?
> > >
> > > Or is this simply a Bad Idea, and the user should be expected to use Ctrl-C
> > > if he really wants to quit the installation?
>
> Both will cause the package to be "broken", and dpkg will keep trying to
> configure it.  It simply doesn't make any sense.

Fair enough.  I'm convinced :)

Thanks,

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A