Re: nslookup?

On Wed 21 Feb 2001, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> > Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
> > Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
> > the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
> >
> > Does this have any special reason?

> this is because bind9 works differently in this respect. i remember reading

What does this have to do with how bind9 works?!
nslookup is simply a tool to query DNS for things, and it shouldn't
care about whether the DNS server is bind 4 / 8 /9, dents, dnrd,
some microsoft thing, or whatever.

I sure hope that nslookup will fork if the bind people don't want it
anymore.  And I think many people will agree with me that the silly
notice needs to be removed; I don't want to have to type -sil (-silly?)
every time.

> right, but i'm sure someone will write a wrapper for the new interface so we
> don't have to retrain our fingers. for the real scoop,
> www.isc.org/products/BIND.

Can't find anything there about nslookup being dropped.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.net      http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/