Re: ps2pdf and xpdf problems.

Michael Piefel <piefel@informatik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

> Am 13.02.01 um 09:19:08 schrieb Dale Scheetz:
> > I've been converting my Debian book to LaTeX so that I can release it
> > [...]
> > When I convert the generated .ps file using ps2pdf, I get a .pdf file that

Try generating the pdf file using.

        dvips -Ppdf

The only "problem" I have with this is that "ff" is encoded as one
special charater rather than two. This gives nice printouts, but if I
copy it from the pdf file, I get a funny character in the pasted

> To generate PDF from LaTeX it's always best to use pdflatex. This will
> no doubt not solve all problems, but I have generated loads of beautiful
> PDF that way.

It has (or had) problems with eps graphics. There is now a utility
available to convert eps to pdf, but as I don't think it handles some
of the fancy things you can do to eps files. I use psfrag to embed
greek characters for example.

A post from Jason Gunthorpe some time ago was helpful in comparing the
relative merits of the methods and explains how -Ppdf solves the
problem. It may be out of date by now though.

I also include

to give me have cross references. see: