Re: ITP: log2mail - sends email if a pattern in a certain logfile is matched.

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 08:25:40AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 05:45:19PM +0100, calvin@net.uni-sb.de wrote:
> > > What is the difference/advantage to the logcheck program?
> > >
> > o runs as daemon
> > o notifies asap (configurable)
> > o prepared for use with pagers
> > o matches patterns in lines using regex
> > o high configurable:
> >   o mailto, patterns, buffering, ... for each seperate logfile
> >   o other packages can 'drop in' configfiles for their logs
> But I prefer to get informed about all patterns except those I don't
> want to see (logcheck) over a set of "interesting" patterns (as log2mails
> seem to do)  because there might be patterns I would miss this way.

Understood. I use log2mail for _promtly_ notifying specific log entries to
different mail-addresses or -gateways. I really like this feature and want
to provide this all debian users. Notify mails can be as short as needed for
pagers. You do not have this in logcheck.

Regards, Gerrit.

--
pape@innominate.com
                                                        innominate AG