Re: kicking non-free archive out without a vote [Re: Package Reor ganisations]

Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 01:23:59PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > Richard Braakman wrote:
> > > Not necessarily.  The package will be removed from testing if it doesn't
> > > get recompiled.  I don't think that's a major problem.
> > That's rich.  It's not a major problem for you, but it's exactly
> > what I meant.
>
> Take a pill. It's obviously not a problem for you either, since you
> don't have m68k or alpha machines, and it's obviously not a problem for
> the people with m68k and alpha machines since they're not bothering to
> build them...

It can still be a problem for some users even if not for Debian developers.
There was a thread on -user about lyx being missing for some arch
recently.

> > >                                                         It just
> > > means that people who want specific contrib and non-free
> > > packages to stay in testing will have to make sure they get
> > > updated in time.  Richard Braakman
> > And how are we supposed to do that?  I need access to machines
> > running woody or unstable on alpha, sparc, m68k and powerpc
>
> No you don't: the package isn't going to be blithely removed from i386
> just because it's not built for arm.

Ah... I see.  That wasn't clear at all.  Great then, I apologize
for the outburst.

> > This is _effectively_ getting non-free off the archives without a
> > vote.
>
> Nonsense.

I see that now.

> Since you're here though, what's the deal with libforms0.86? It appears
> to be libc5 only, and appears to depend on xpm4.7 (the libc5 version of
> xpm), which doesn't exist anymore with the X4 debs. Should it be
> removed, or is someone going to start maintaining some xpm4.7 compatability
> stuff?

I haven't been the XForms maintainer for very long, but that
package is certainly a good candidate for removal.  I was waiting
for XForms to be Open Source and then _all_ current libforms
packages would be removed in favour of a new one for main.  But
that hasn't happened yet.  I see that xpm4.7 is still around.
Are there plans to drop it?  I can certainly get libforms0.86
removed if it's an obstacle to getting xpm4.7 removed.

If I do file a bug to have it removed, would that be against
pseudo-package ftp.debian.org?

Thanks,

Peter