Re: kicking non-free archive out without a vote [Re: Package Reor ganisations]

Peter,

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> > Since you're here though, what's the deal with libforms0.86? It appears
> > to be libc5 only, and appears to depend on xpm4.7 (the libc5 version of
> > xpm), which doesn't exist anymore with the X4 debs. Should it be
> > removed, or is someone going to start maintaining some xpm4.7 compatability
> > stuff?

> I haven't been the XForms maintainer for very long, but that
> package is certainly a good candidate for removal.  I was waiting
> for XForms to be Open Source and then _all_ current libforms
> packages would be removed in favour of a new one for main.  But
> that hasn't happened yet.  I see that xpm4.7 is still around.
> Are there plans to drop it?  I can certainly get libforms0.86
> removed if it's an obstacle to getting xpm4.7 removed.

Didn't the XForms author deliberately switch from a free to a non-free license
a couple years ago?  If you're making headway in convincing the author to
release XForms as free software again, that's great to hear -- it's just a
little surprising to me, given what I remember of the software's history.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer