Re: Daemontools

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 08:40:00AM +0100, Klaus Reimer wrote:
> Just to be sure: For what services do you want to make compatibility init
> scripts? Only for services originally controlled by init.d-scripts (apache,
> proftpd) or also services running under daemontools by nature (dnscache)?

Personally, I'm in favor of all services having init.d scripts, for
convenience and consistency.  Yes, if someone installs daemontools, then he
should know how to use it.  But I myself have been using daemontools for
quite a while now and I prefer the simplicity of typing one command
to stop and start qmail, instead of a bunch of commands --

init.d way:
/etc/init.d/qmail start

daemontools way:
svc -u /var/qmail/supervise/*
svc -u /var/qmail/supervise/*/log

init.d way:
/etc/init.d/dns stop

daemontools way:
svc -d /etc/tinydns
svc -d /etc/tinydns/log
svc -d /etc/dnscache
svc -d /etc/dnscache/log
.
.

You get the point.  IMHO It's just more convenient to have it all in one
"friendly" script.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>