Re: Open letter to Debian community

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 03:54:26PM +1100, Sam Johnston wrote:
> the size of debian may not be a big issue now, but when do we draw the
> line? 5 CD's? a DVD?

When it becomes impossible to handle. As long as hard drive sizes keep
going up, and DVD burners come available in a reasonable amount of time,
we should be okay for forseeable future.

> no we can't go through and declare which of each
> group of packages is 'the best', but surely 2-3 fingerd's is
> enough? perhaps a meaty 'all bells and whistles' version and a slim
> 'nothing but the bare essentials' version is all that's needed? (ie bind
> vs djbdns).

Which two are those? You're welcome to try and convince the developers
to orphan their packages because those packages are redundant, but I
doubt you'll be successful.

> or maybe we do it by popularity? any packages which don't make
> it onto the cd go onto supplementary cd's ala redhat's
> powertools,

Which is different from what we do now how? If I understand it right
you can leave out the last CD, or the last 2 CD's of our 3 binary CD's
and still have an internally consistent set, chosen with popularity
in mind.

> i'd say this would make debian a lot easier to install/maintain. a smaller
> working set would almost certainly mean higher quality too.

Why would a smaller working set mean higher quality?

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org