Re: Open letter to Debian community

the size of debian may not be a big issue now, but when do we draw the
line? 5 CD's? a DVD? no we can't go through and declare which of each
group of packages is 'the best', but surely 2-3 fingerd's is
enough? perhaps a meaty 'all bells and whistles' version and a slim
'nothing but the bare essentials' version is all that's needed? (ie bind
vs djbdns). or maybe we do it by popularity? any packages which don't make
it onto the cd go onto supplementary cd's ala redhat's
powertools, and/or as a mirror into sources.list so they appear in
apt? most of us have internet access nowdays and those who don't can use
the supp cds.

i'd say this would make debian a lot easier to install/maintain. a smaller
working set would almost certainly mean higher quality too.

 - samj