Re: Daemontools

programs running under daemontools usually do so by having a directory linked in /service (which should probably actually be /var/service, or at least a link to it). this directory contains a shell script ('run'). at boot one runs svscan on [/var]/service which starts supervise on each of the folders therein. supervise uses the 'run' script (and an optional 'run' script in [/var]/service/[servicename]/log) to start the service and (optionally) its logger (usually multilog). services are then controlled by pointing 'svc' at the appropriate directory (ie to 'down' and 'exit' proftpd I'd do svc -dx /service/proftpd).

this probably makes it difficult to start/stop services from /etc/init.d - perhaps it'd be better not to use svscan at all, and use init scripts to start supervise manually on a given directory, and then start/stop would use 'svc' to control the service. is this how it's done currently?

i recall seeing some work on runlevels with a memphis rpm of djb's software - not sure how it worked or how successful they were though. perhaps it's worth a look at?

- samj