Re: Problems with using debconf in init script...

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 04:44:29PM -0800, Philippe Troin wrote:
> Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org> writes:
> > > The am-utils init script (enclosed here) uses debconf to retrieve the
> > > configuration information.
> >
> > NO!
> >
> > Don't use debconf in
> > 	- init-script
> > 	- in the Program itself
>
> Who says that ? Is this policy or written anywhere ?

1.) ask joey hess
2.) read /usr/doc/debconf/introduction.txt.gz

debconf is way to ask questions from the user, store this answers to
pursue:
	- don't ask question several times
	- use the same (unexchangeable) frontend all the time
	- ask all question befor installing the package

it is not a registry ala MS and it don't replace /etc/*

> > Debian is not a MS-W***, it is a UNIX.
>
> Disparaging MS-W*** doesn't make an argument.

ok.

but on a unix system, the configuration is store in flat files in
/etc/ and not in a database like debconf (as default).

> > And I configure my system with the vi[m] and not with dpkg-reconfig !
> >
> > Ask with debconf, write a config-file and ask this config-file.
>
> This means that the info is stored twice:
>
>  - in the "config file".
>
>  - in the debconf database.

no. The information is store only in the configuration file. The
programm, the init.d-script ... show only on this file, not in
debconf.

> What should happen if the "config file" is changed outside of debconf
> and then a change is made with debconf ?

See policy '4.7.3. Behavior' :

     Configuration file handling must conform to the following behavior:

        * local changes must be preserved during a package upgrade

        * configuration files should be preserved when the package is
          removed, and only deleted when the package is purged.

don't update the configuration file on a update, only on user request
(dpkg-reconfigure or after a purge)

> I hope by "config file" you do not mean conffile. A conffile should
> never be modified automatically (except by dpkg).

set 'config file' = configuration file

Gruss
Grisu
Falls Ihr Rechner zu oft blau macht ist es Zeit auf Linux umzusteigen.