Problems with using debconf in init script...

I've re-debianized am-utils (see previous message) and while I was at
it, I made it use debconf.

The am-utils init script (enclosed here) uses debconf to retrieve the
configuration information.

It runs fine when using a normal root prompt, however when ran during
the boot sequence, I get these errors:

  sh: /dev/tty: Device not configured
  sh: /dev/tty: Device not configured
  Starting automounter: amd.

These are caused by sourcing the debconf shell module. And during
bootup, the terminal is not fully functional, but that's expected.

Any debconf expert can shed light ? Or should I avoid using debconf in
init script ?

Phil.