Re: Problems with using debconf in init script...

Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 08:49:31PM -0800, Philippe Troin wrote:
> > I've re-debianized am-utils (see previous message) and while I was at
> > it, I made it use debconf.
>
> ok.
>
> > The am-utils init script (enclosed here) uses debconf to retrieve the
> > configuration information.
>
> NO!
>
> Don't use debconf in
> 	- init-script
> 	- in the Program itself

Who says that ? Is this policy or written anywhere ?

> Debian is not a MS-W***, it is a UNIX.

Disparaging MS-W*** doesn't make an argument.

> And I configure my system with the vi[m] and not with dpkg-reconfig !
>
> Ask with debconf, write a config-file and ask this config-file.

This means that the info is stored twice:

 - in the "config file".

 - in the debconf database.

What should happen if the "config file" is changed outside of debconf
and then a change is made with debconf ?

I hope by "config file" you do not mean conffile. A conffile should
never be modified automatically (except by dpkg).

Phil.