Debian SMP Problems?

I just tried installing a clean version of Potato on an SMP machine (Dual
Pentium III 450's) and the entire installation ran unbareably slow. After
multiple hours of installation, the system now runs equally as slow.
Executing programs, shell scripts, compiling, everything runs extremely
slow.

I thought it may be disk accessing, but FTP'ing works just fine.

I figured perhaps the stock Debian kernel has some SMP problems? I am trying
to compile a new kernel with SMP support but it is taking a while, just
wondering if anyone else has had problems. Thanks,

Danny