Re: debconf question

    Michael> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 09:43:09PM +0100, Klaus Reimer
    Michael> wrote:
    >> I am planning to package a software which is a PHP module. The
    >> Author has already created an unofficial debian package and I
    >> want to maintain this package and include it into debian. The
    >> package is currently asking three questions in postinst, to do
    >> the following things:
    >> 1. Add extension-entry in php.ini 2. Add an alias-entry in
    >> apache's httpd.conf 3. Restart apache
    >> prerm ist asking to do the following
    >> 1. Remove extension-entry from php.ini 2. Remove alias-entry in
    >> apache's httpd.conf 3. Restart apache.

    Michael> you can't do this!

    Michael> see 4.7.* policy: ...  The maintainer scripts should not
    Michael> alter the conffile of _any_ package, including the one
    Michael> the scripts belong to.  ...

I think you quoted the wrong part of policy. httpd.conf at least
is a config file, not a conffile, at least in potato.

I thought somewhere in policy it says "a package must not alter any
configuration file unless it owns it" (or something like that), but
can't seem to find it now.
Brian May <bam@debian.org>