Re: debconf question

    Michael> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 09:43:09PM +0100, Klaus Reimer
    Michael> wrote:
    >> I am planning to package a software which is a PHP module. The
    >> Author has already created an unofficial debian package and I
    >> want to maintain this package and include it into debian. The
    >> package is currently asking three questions in postinst, to do
    >> the following things:
    >>
    >> 1. Add extension-entry in php.ini 2. Add an alias-entry in
    >> apache's httpd.conf 3. Restart apache
    >>
    >> prerm ist asking to do the following
    >>
    >> 1. Remove extension-entry from php.ini 2. Remove alias-entry in
    >> apache's httpd.conf 3. Restart apache.

    Michael> you can't do this!

    Michael> see 4.7.* policy: ...  The maintainer scripts should not
    Michael> alter the conffile of _any_ package, including the one
    Michael> the scripts belong to.  ...

I think you quoted the wrong part of policy. httpd.conf at least
is a config file, not a conffile, at least in potato.

I thought somewhere in policy it says "a package must not alter any
configuration file unless it owns it" (or something like that), but
can't seem to find it now.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>