Re: Who should package&host a product?

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 12:42:15PM -0600, Vince Mulhollon wrote:

> There is a third possibility.  Create an apt-get-able site at
> javien.com to hold alpha and beta versions, and get "stable"
> versions duploaded into Debian via sponsorship and/or new
> maintainers.

The trend I notice under these situations is that there is a visible
separation between what is Debian and what is not.  When this
separation is present, the Debianites feel it is necessary to start
packaging things themselves, straight from the CVS tree.  The
"unstable" and "testing" distributions are present for the EXPLICIT
purpose of distributing beta *.deb's.

Now, I want to point out a small detail in context.  "unstable",
"testing", and "stable" packages do not necessarily reflect the
stability or lifecycle of the software contained within.  I would
agree that alpha software, in and of itself, should probably not make
it in to the Debian archives... unless that is what you want.  Beta
software, on the other hand, has traditionally migrated into the
unstable distribution of Debian.  Take PostgreSQL for example.
Version 7 made it in to unstable, even though the PostgreSQL people
classified it's lifecycle as "beta" software.

It all revolves around what you feel as a company and as developers
would be acceptable software to distribute widely, and what you would
prefer people use your own mirrors for.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD