Re: Quake should be in main

Firstly, please don't cc: submit@bugs when posting to
the lists. It encourages people to group reply, creating
more bug reports. Use the X-Debbugs-CC header instead. This
has been discussed recently on debian-devel.

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 10:42:46PM -0500, Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
> My point about Quake stands, however. Packaging OpenQuartz
> (http://www.planetquake.com/gg/openquartz.html) is probably a
> good idea, but Quake's place in the archive should not depend on
> it. If OpenQuartz didn't exist or if i were unsatisfied with it,
> i should be free to install Quake out of main and develop my own
> data for it.
>
> The Quake package shouldn't Depend on the OpenQuartz package
> for the same reason.

I disagree and object. Unless there is DFSG-compliant data packaged,
Quake belongs in contrib. The 'develop my own' argument is not
plausible; we could make this argument for every package in contrib.

For example, lxdoom could be in main if somebody developed free data
for it. pinepgp could be in main if somebody wrote a free pine-compatible
mailer. Every package in there could be in main if only somebody
rewrote the non-free component it depends on.

quake and the various emulators are not intended as development
tools, so we can't use that excuse to let them into main. That is,
the average user expects to be able to install those from main
and use them without extra data, and without developing their
own games.

belongs in contrib.

Corollary: x48 requires user-supplied ROMs, as distributing the ROMs
is illegal (they are copyright Hewlett-Packard and not public
domain or DFSG-compliant). Therefore x48 belongs in contrib.
And I just submitted a bug.

> I'm also submitting this as a bug against Quake, since James
> Troup pointed out to me that that is the proper way to ask for a
> package to be moved.

Actually, you should submit the bug against ftp.debian.org,
as submitting it against quake won't do anything at all.

Hamish