Two versions in the archives

What is the general rule of thumb on having more than one version of a
program in Debian? I ask because version 2.0 of one of my favorite
editors (yudit) came out recently, and they wrecked the GUI. It bears
little resemblance to the yudit I use. Would it be inappropriate to ask
the mainainter to keep the old version in the archive, say as yudit1.5?
(I'd be willing to maintain it myself, if nessecary.)

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org