Re: Snes9x and Quake in main

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 10:58:54PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Eric Gillespie, Jr. wrote:
> > According to policy, sections 2.1.2 - 2.1.4, a package goes in
> > non-free if it isn't DFSG free and in contrib if it depends on a
> > non-free package. Both snes9x and Quake are DFSG free, and
> > neither depend on non-free packages. Therefore, both should be in
> > main.
>
> Read policy again. In particular this bit:
>
>      Examples of packages which would be included in "contrib" are
>         * free packages which require "contrib", "non-free", or "non-US"
>           packages or packages which are not in our archive at all for
>           compilation or execution,

So if I install a compiler for an alternative language, and the compiler
is written in C, yet there is no source written in this new language in
Debian, that compiler must go into non-free?

Come on, people can write their own .pak's for quake, and quite a few
people can write byte code for snes9x programs.

Ben