Re: swap not enabled if raid devices not in sync when booting

    Michael> On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 06:40:44PM +1100, Brian May
    Michael> wrote:
    >> This is most likely to occur when the power fails, and I don't
    >> want to have to be around just so I can manually enable the
    >> swap partitions.
    >>
    >> (side-note: none of my swap partitions use RAID.)

    Michael> It is unsafe to use swap on a resyncing raid

Do you have any references for this?

    Michael> partition. Both swap partitions and swap files will be
    Michael> corrupted if active during a resync.  The course taken
    Michael> curently is the safest and easiest: if raid is resyncing,
    Michael> simply do not activate swap. It should be possible to

Even if this *is* the case, it is still broken behaviour (IMHO), as
the swap space is never enabled even when the RAID partitions have
finished syncing.

I imagine anyone who does have swap on RAID needs a reliable computer,
but not having the swap file enabled, if say the power fails, is not
reliable, IMHO.

    Michael> activate swap on those partitions that are not
    Michael> raided. I'm sure the maintainer would be happy to accept
    Michael> a patch to implement that. *But* your patch needs to
    Michael> check that it never activates any swap on any resyncing
    Michael> raid partition.

Why isn't this disabling-of-raid-swap-partitions-until-synced done
inside the kernel if it is potentially so damaging?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>