Re: PRE Version numbers

Julian Gilbey writes:

> On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 09:03:16PM +0100, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> > If you don't mind using the Debian release number for it,
> >
> > 1.4-0pre1 < 1.4-1.
> >
> > I'm going to do that with nano at least.
>
> But someone explained that the new dinstall won't let you install a
> new version of the upstream source with the same upstream version
> number, so this probably won't work.

For "snapshot" packages (although I am not uploading mine into Debian
proper,) I'm using versions like "1.6b2+snap20001127", which compares
between 1.6b2 and either 1.6b3 or 1.6.1 or 1.7, whatever comes next
upstream. So, for "pre" packages, you could use something like
1.3+1.4pre1-1. Admittedly ugly, but it works (without epochs) and it
provides a new upstream version so that katie will accept the
orig.tar.gz.

--
things change.
decklin@red-bean.com