Re: Message CCs (again for the xth time)

Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:

> How is the MUA meant to know what addresses it is meant to reply to?
>
> Please don't just say "the mailing list address", as how is
> the MUA going to know which address is the mailing list address?

Well, you have to tell it.

Since you're using Gnus, try typing 'G c' on your debian-devel group.
Note the "To Address" parameter.  This makes it so typing 'F' (as I
just did) does the Right Thing.

> Also, some replies should *not* go to the mailing list either, but
> to the mailing list via a BTS address, for instance. Consider
> debian-policy, where this frequently applies.

This is a more unusual situation.

> Also, what about cross posted messages? Why should the reply go to
> one mailing list, but not the other? How is the MUA to know that two
> of the addresses are required for mailing lists, and should both be
> used?  Yes, sometimes cross posts are required.

In this case in Gnus, you type 'S W' to reply to all addresses.  I
assume other mailers have a similar feature.

In short, I think this is a user configuration issue.