Re: Message CCs (again for the xth time)

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 04:19:57PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

> The one big problem with no-ccs rules in this:
>
> How is the MUA meant to know what addresses it is meant to reply to?
>
> Please don't just say "the mailing list address", as how is
> the MUA going to know which address is the mailing list address?

perhaps via the List-Post header defined in RFC 2369 ?  GNU Mailman
supports these headers but most/all MUAs make no use of them.

> Also, some replies should *not* go to the mailing list either, but to
> the mailing list via a BTS address, for instance. Consider
> debian-policy, where this frequently applies.

perhaps the BTS could set Mail-Followup-To ?  of course as we all to
well know many mailers ignore it.

> Also, what about cross posted messages? Why should the reply go to one
> mailing list, but not the other? How is the MUA to know that two of
> the addresses are required for mailing lists, and should both be used?
> Yes, sometimes cross posts are required.

this pretty much has to be left to the user to figure out.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/