useful tools for packages--any comprehensive list?

Hi,

from time to time people mentions some nifty tools (mostly scripts?)
to search for info about packages and similar.  Eg the citation
below.  Is there some list/collection/etc of such utilities?  Or for
other usefull things like `apt-cache search <string>', which can be
found in the manuals but is a bit tricky to find?

I couldn't find an easy way to find the biggest packages installed so
I hacked a script, but I suppose lots of these things are really done,
just I can't find it.

/Micce

    mem> [4 ysabell:~] grep-available -s Package,Maintainer -P aterm
    mem> Package: aterm-ml
    mem> Maintainer: Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org>

--
Mikael Hedin, MSc                   +46 (0)980 79176
Swedish Institute of Space Physics  +46 (0)980 73547 (home)