Re: tar -I incompatibility

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

> 	Could you please name the other unices that behave identically
>  to solaris tar wrt the -I option? And which other unices even have
>  the -I option in tar?

My point is that the -I option *doesn't* mean "uncompress this file using
bzip2" for anything other than GNU tar. Now that it doesn't mean that for
GNU tar either, people are complaining. I think they probably shouldn't have
been using -I to start with, at least not as a matter of habit or in scripts
that might live for any decent length of time or have an application on any
non-GNU system.
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam@topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |