Re: Obsolete software in /usr/local

Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 03:49:07PM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> > I've been meaning to bring this up for a while:
> > Why on earth was this change ever made?
>
> I can't speak for whoever made the change, but I suspect that it is
> because LD_LIBRARY_PATH can be used to support libraries in /usr/local/lib
> for programs in /usr/local/bin without messing up anything that ships with
> Debian.

There's no difference between having /usr/local/lib in LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
just adding it at the end of /etc/ld.so.conf except for:

1) It won't be cached so it'll be slightly slower
2) setuid binaries will break
3) Each user manually has to add it

This violates the more general principle in the debian policy that no
environment variables should have to be set for things to work right. Of
course there's no specific package that doesn't "work right" since this only
affects locally installed software. So it doesn't violate the specific meaning
of that requirement, but it definitely breaks with the model.

--
greg