Re: ITP: Rhythm Composer TK-707 (And suggestions for sound in debian)

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 10:04:55AM -0200, Eduardo Marcel Macan wrote:
> alsa + timidity makes it possible do create really good sounding music
> without having an expensive sound card. Jazz++ can also use alsa and
> timidity.  If we had alsa, timidity and jazz++ into debian enabled to
> work together we would provide an almost complete MIDI music composition
> environtment.

The latest versions of jazz++ provide ALSA support by default. If you
have timidity configured as an ALSA server, the only thing you should
need in order to use it from jazz++ would be to select it as the
sequencer output in the jazz++ MIDI config menus.

I also think it would be a nice combination, but I have not tried it;
I have a midi soundcard.

> Someone tried to get jazz++ packaged (again) a while ago but I
> have not seen it in unstable nor any news from the person trying to
> do it...

Well, it was me, and I did package it, but I sent an ITP-delay message
some time ago, when a developer from the WxWindows team asked me not
to put into debian the the 1.68E version of the library, which is the
one jazz++ needs.

I spent some days trying to port jazz++ to the newest versions of the
WxWindows library, but I found it to be a really big task. I managed
to compile about half of the jazz++ source files, and I plan to put my
hands on it when I find the time, hopefully soon. If I fail to do the
port, I will probably try to put it into contrib.

Meanwhile, you can use some unofficial packages I made for WxWindows
1.68 and jazz++ ( The binaries where made for woody two months ago
or so...):

http://www.ieeesb.etsit.upm.es/~era/debian/jazz/

Or apt-get install jazz++ from (sources.list line)

deb-src http://www.ieeesb.etsit.upm.es/~era/debian ./

--- Enrique Robledo Arnuncio <era at debian.org>
                             <erobledo at ieee.org>
                             <era at thehackers.org> ---