Re: Something has broken APT on my system...

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 02:08:39AM +0200, Heikki Kantola wrote:

> For few days (first experienced this on 1.1.) I've been trying to figure
> out what's wrong with APT as whatever command I try, I get:
>
>  Reading Package Lists... Error!
>  E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
>  E: Error occured while processing emusic (NewVersion1)
>  E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
>  E: Unable to write mmap - msync (14 Bad address)
>  E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
>
> Dpkg I can use fine, so the status file propably isn't corrupted. And
> APT I haven't updated recently, but I have updated few other packages it
> makes use of. The prime suspects I can think of are debconf (which has
> touched /etc/apt/apt.conf) and Perl 5.6. The i686-optimised Libc could
> perhaps have something to do with this too.

Have you tried removing the files under /var/state/apt/lists?  These are
what is being read during the "Reading Package Lists..." phase.  You should
do something like:

# mkdir /tmp/bad-apt-lists
# cp /var/state/apt/lists/* /tmp/bad-apt-lists
# apt-get update
# apt-get check

and see if the problem still occurs.  If it doesn't, then one of those files
may have been corrupted, and you should figure out which one and send the
smallest possible test case as a bug report against apt.

--
 - mdz