Re: ITP: apt-listchanges (formerly debchanges)

On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 02:22:21PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 01:20:25PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> > The fact that you don't need to install it... or even be able to
> > install it.
> >
> > What I would really love would be an extension of this to use apt-get
> > source instead.  Then the build daemons could make use of it to improve
> > the "changes since last failed version" messages.
>
> I will consider this for a future version.  Unfortunately, it will involve (in
> the case of non-native packages) unpacking the entire source archive, applying
> the Debian diff, then reading the changelog out of the tree.
>
> That is, of course, unless I could read the changelog directly out of the diff.
> This feels funny to me, though, and I'm not sure whether it's a good idea.

Reading it out of the diff is easy.  Unfortunately, it's more an issue
on native packages - we'd still need to unpack them.

My inclination is to make dinstall handle this at some future date...
build changelogs as they are installed... or perhaps (more
intelligently) dump this into the lintian lab as has been discussed.

Dan