Re: Progeny Linux Systems Announces Progeny Debian Beta One

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 09:36:15AM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > > Havn't dealt with apt internals but IMHO this could be possibly
> > > implemeted by optional parameters, couldn't it?
> >
> > The correct solution would IMO be to install recommends by default, but
> > leave suggests up to the front-end.
>
>   And (this is important) to not keep yelling at the user about recommends
> that aren't satisfied (unless, I suppose, they ask you to).  I think this is
> probably the #1 complaint about dselect.

I will point out that I patched this exact problem in dselect some nearly
three years ago.  The patch was rejected without review by Ian Jackson,
who felt that I was not qualified to patch dselect, even though he'd never
seen that or any other code I'd written.

I do fully admit that was my first encounter with C++, but dselect was
also Ian's first (and last) C++ project.  Based on a reading of the source
code, I'd say I was a much better C++ programmer then than he will ever
be, but you should of course assume that is largely personal bias for an
important patch (now lost unfortunately) which was rejected without review
because the project's favorite permanently MIA developer was too proud to
admit that a newcomer to the language (and the project) could fix a design
flaw in an evening that he didn't fix over the course of several years.

(However, I digress rather obviously...)

Due to the closed source development model of XFree it is impossible
to support, or even speculate about, features in pre- or beta releases
of XFree.
        -- Marcus Sundberg