Re: Progeny Linux Systems Announces Progeny Debian Beta One

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 09:08:20AM -0500, Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> was heard to say:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 02:55:38PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > Recommends rather than Depends so you can remove part of a task (which is
> > > something that is missing from Debian's tasks because apt ignores both
> > > suggests and recommends.)
> > Havn't dealt with apt internals but IMHO this could be possibly
> > implemeted by optional parameters, couldn't it?
>
> The correct solution would IMO be to install recommends by default, but
> leave suggests up to the front-end.

  And (this is important) to not keep yelling at the user about recommends
that aren't satisfied (unless, I suppose, they ask you to).  I think this is
probably the #1 complaint about dselect.

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|                        After the game, the king and                         |