Re: looking for replacement for run (because of critical bug in

On 00-12-26 Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 12:26:10PM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:

> > On 00-12-25 Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > It would be nice if less included a feature to close and reopen the current
> > > file.  Then this would not be necessary.
> >
> > Well, this is a feature that tail on FreeBSD has. If you start it with
> > -F, it will tail you the current file like our tail -f. But if know the
> > logfile will be rotated, it will notice this and reopen the new current
> > one and tail this one. This is a feature that I really miss in GNU tail.

> It sounds pretty easy to implement; just stat() and compare the inode number.
> Is this how the FreeBSD tail does it?  Why not write a patch for GNU tail?

I'm not sure how FreeBSD tail handle this exactly, as I didn't look at
it's code till now. But after having read the Mail from Ethan I think
about patching tail to have an option -F which combines --follow=name
and --retry. :)

Ciao
     Christian
--
          Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Team Member