Re: looking for replacement for run (because of critical bug in

On 2000-12-22, Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Marc Haber wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am maintainer for run and console-log, and waiting for NM to
[...]
>> To keep console-log, I need a program that can daemonize a "normal"
>> program, i.e. put it in the background, maintain a pid file unter
>> /var/run and optionally restart the program when it dies.

>   what about that start-stop-daemon or something like that used to
>   start and stop daemons and various services, check the /etc/init.d
>   scripts what/how they use, I do not have debian handy at the moment
>   but I think it might do what you want.

start-stop-daemon won't work, because console-log (contrary to Marc's
explanation needs a (nay, two) less process in the foreground to allow
the user to watch log messages.

I wonder if a sh script could do what Marc described...

--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@acm.org>, <d96001@htlwrn.ac.at>, antifuchs
Hail RMS! Hail Cthulhu! Hail Eris! All hail Discordia!