looking for replacement for run (because of critical bug in

Hi,

I am maintainer for run and console-log, and waiting for NM to
complete. Unfortunately, run has a nasty bug that causes console-log
to hang which in turn may prevent a clean shutdown. Upstream doesn't
maintain run any more (and I shouldn't have packaged it in the first
place), and isn't interested in fixing that bug. I don't have the
expertise to fix this one as it is buried deep inside interprocess
communication and vanishes under the debugger and when debugging
outputs are included, and asking for help on debian-devel multiple
times didn't show a helper.

I am now seriously thinking of having run pulled from the project
since its quality surely isn't up to Debian's standards.

To keep console-log, I need a program that can daemonize a "normal"
program, i.e. put it in the background, maintain a pid file unter
/var/run and optionally restart the program when it dies. Is something
that can do this in Debian at the moment, or is there maybe somebody
who can help in debugging run?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc

Karlsruhe, Germany |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29