Re: looking for replacement for run (because of critical bug in

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 01:38:03PM +0100, Andreas Fuchs wrote:

> Today, Christian Kurz <shorty@debian.org> wrote:
> > Well, this is a feature that tail on FreeBSD has. If you start it with
> > -F, it will tail you the current file like our tail -f. But if know the
> > logfile will be rotated, it will notice this and reopen the new current
> > one and tail this one. This is a feature that I really miss in GNU tail.
>
> Uh, is this what you mean?
>
> $ echo bar > /tmp/foo
> $ tail -f /tmp/foo & (sleep 1; echo baz >> /tmp/foo;
>   sleep 1; echo qux > /tmp/foo)
> bar[time passes]
> baz[time passes]
>         ==> /tmp/foo: file truncated <==
> qux
> $ fg
> ^C
> $ tail --version
> tail (GNU textutils) 2.0

No, this is a truncated file.  Christian was talking about a renamed and
recreated file, which requires a different sort of watching.

As someone else pointed out in this thread, GNU tail uses --follow=name to do
the right thing in this case.

--
 - mdz