Re: kernel-patch-int, non-us and non-free.

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 23:14:39 +0100, Peter Makholm wrote:
> Robert van der Meulen <rvdm@cistron.nl> writes:
>
> > kernel-patch-int is currently in non-us. I'd like to 'remove' the parts that
> > don't need to be in non-us, and put them in main, in a seperate package.
>
> And what parts do you think this is?

Doesn't the international kernel patch also include one way hash code
suitable for cryptographic purposes, e.g. for SHA1? There are no export
restrictions on one way hashes.

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 23:24:03 +0100, Daniel Fasnacht wrote:
> > No clue on MARS/RC5/RC6/IDEA.

> For IDEA: IDEA is patented

AFAIK, that goes for MARS and RC6 as well; I don't know about RC5. Given
that all of them were AES candidates, you may want to browse around
http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/ to see if the statements of their
authors regarding intellectual property issues are still available; they
include details on patents.

(The AES requirements were that the cipher selected _once selected_ could be
used without intellectual property hassles. The IP holders of the other
ciphers aren't obliged to release their IP).

HTH,
Ray
--
RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may  not be a better one than the one
the blocks  live in but it'll be a sight more vivid.