Re: Latest Mandrake

>>"Toni" == Toni Mueller <deb-l@tonimueller.org> writes:

 Toni> Yes, too. I don't understand how to override that package's rules
 Toni> properly, but I also don't know anybody who _does_ know how to
 Toni> do that.

	You are not hanging out with the right people, then. All you
 need to do to override the package's rules is:

 # cp filename.def filename.rule
 # vi filename.rule

	See? Not hard at all.

 Toni> I also said that I had limited time to look into that
 Toni> documentation...

	This is a disquietening statement coming from one in charge of
 security. Knowing ones tools is an important aspect of any sysadmin
 job.

 Toni> Administrating a set of ipmasq rules together with their
 Toni> respective local exceptions imho is a major headache, and I
 Toni> actually don't see the benefit using ipmasq with it's myriad of
 Toni> config files (you need when trying to override the built-in
 Toni> rules) compared with just running a script like

	So don't use ipmasq. I actually like having the default
 ruleset set up quickly, and than having the ability to go in
 and modify and enhance bits and pieces at my leisure.

 Toni> It took me reading this list to hear that actually someone is
 Toni> using ipmasq successfully. All other people I know also just
 Toni> throw out ipmasq and run their own set of rules.

	You may prefer not to use ipmasq. However, it is not that hard
 to understand how it works, and it should not come as a surprise that
 people can actually use it.

	Indeed, I find it surprising that people in charge of security
 actually find ipmasq hard to understand.

	manoj
--
 Evolution is as much a fact as the earth turning on its axis and
 going around the sun.  At one time this was called the Copernican