[RFC] Standardized categorization heirarchy for packages and documentation? (Was: Re: RFC: new task-science package)

    Steve> Again, this seems like a lot of detail to inflict on a first time
    Steve> user (who is supposedly who the task- packages are aimed at).

 A first time user who wants to install that stuff can probably (1:1)
 deal with a certain amount of complexity. ;-)

    Steve> The finer details (split numerical vs. analysis (statistical?),
    Steve> development) could still be meta packages, but they shouldn't be task
    Steve> packages (although the high level task package could certainly depend on
    Steve> them.

 Hmmm...

 How about a task scientific that includes only subtask packages for
 the various visualization, numerical, etc?  Should there be such a
 thing as a subtask package?  Then perhaps the level of detail shown
 can be a setting in collapsible capt-like interfaces?

 We ought to, perhaps, draft a categorization heirarchy similar to the
 sourceforge one and standardize it...  coupleing that with the
 similar for the menu system and documentation (html + info)
 headings/categories as well would be a very good idea, it occurs to
 me.  It ought to become a policy (sub)document.

 How can we manage this?  Appoint a keeper, start a sublist, and
 solicit suggestions?  (perhaps I can try, if someone whos done this
 sort of keeper task before helps me out with some mentoring and
 instructions; maybe a "managing a project like this one HOWTO" should
 be written.  Help appreciated.)

 What else can be tied into this, as far as "what else is related to
 this issue"?

 I have...  that the package categorization heirarchy, documentation
 menu heirarchy, WM menus, the info dir, and probably a man page
 categorized index of some kind ought to have _standardized_ and
 _documented_ category/subcategory headings.  I guess this ties into
 `doc-base', `dpkg' and the various `apt' tools, including of course
 `lintian' and `debian-policy-manual'.

 Another thing re this all... we need to keep in mind third party
 software (authenticated https apt please?) and value added
 reseller/redistributor add-ins, and accomadate them.

 Likelier than not these are not all new ideas...  I'd love to grep
 the email archive for similar threads...  What keywords can you
 suggest for that search?  There ought to be a standardized list of
 X-Keyword header keys we can use...  and a gnus extenditsome to
 support that... other mailers too of course.  Perhaps a way to add
 that header to mails already on the archive would be good also.  Then
 generate a big index?

 Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@debian.org>
 (503) 222-4173  Portland, OR, USA